Skip to main content


Phone numbers & Email
Starting Classes
Registration, Canvas & Grades
Test & Final Exams
Support Links

How do I find the email address or phone number for a student, staff, or faculty?

In Outlook: click on “To” in the address line and then search in the Global Address List (will work for all term-activated students, staff, and faculty).

In mybyuh: Cclick on the student name in your class roll.

On an IP Phone: click the top right icon for the directory and chose corporate directory.

In MAPPER: type in the student name into the “Find” field.

Who are the deans, department chairs, department secretaries and how do I reach them?

How can I customize my IP phone?

Textbooks, Dates, Times, and Modes of Instruction

Please give your textbook information to your department secretary when the class is being scheduled. Even if it is not ordered through the Bookstore there is a federal regulation that textbook information must be available to students when they register.

How do I find the academic calendar with dates and holidays for the syllabus? (Office of the Registrar)

How did we get this academic calendar? (AAVP for curriculum and assessment)

How many days of MWF or TTh class are there in any given semester or block? 2014-15 2015-16 2016-17 2017-18 be aware: needs updating for new calendar (AAVP for curriculum and assessment)

What times are classes offered? (Office of the Registrar)

What is the schedule for Thursday at 11:00? (Academic VP's office)

What is the difference between the different modes of instruction? [In person, hybrid, on-campus online, online-only] Why does this matter? (AAVP for curriculum and assessment, Office of the Registrar)

Field Trip Form

Preparing the Syllabus

What needs to go on a syllabus? (Word version for copying to your syllabus, 12/02/20 update) (AAVP for Curriculum and Assessment)

Where can I find the rubric by which syllabi are evaluated?

What are my department’s Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs) and what are the Institutional Learning Outcomes (ILOs) that I will need to align my class outcomes (SLOs) with? (You may need to click on "Select Another Unit Portfolio" at the top to find your department).

(Please note that student learning outcomes—SLOs—are specific to a class. They should align with Department and University outcomes, but are not dictated by them).

Are there examples of how to align the SLOs, PLOs, and ILOs for the syllabus?

What kinds of information on my syllabus might be connected to assessment for the department and university? How can I write outcomes that are assessable? (University Assessment Committee and AAVP for curriculum and assessment)

Managing Registration

How do I find my class roll? (AAVP for curriculum, Office of the Registrar)

How do add/drop/withdraw work? (AAVP for curriculum, Office of the Registrar)

Where are the forms for: independent study, incomplete grade, grade change? (Office of the Registrar)

Using Canvas

How do I use Canvas? Tutorial for key activities (Michelle Fuluvaka, EIS)

How do I link library e-resources into my Canvas modules? (Joseph F. Smith Library)

How do I make sure that I'm following copyright laws with my Canvas material? (Joseph F. Smith Library)

End of the Semester

How do I submit my grades? (Office of the Registrar)

When are grades due? Always at noon on the Thursday of the week after finals (Office of the Registrar).

Why is it important that I meet the grade deadline? What’s the big deal?

Tests in the Testing Center

Be aware that all tests in the Testing Center must be scheduled well ahead of time. They have limits on how many tests they can run at one time. It is best to give them your test dates at the beginning of the semester or even before to confirm that they can fit you in.

The Testing Center website is You can find contact information and hours there.

Tests must be brought with a bar code on each test that the departments get from the testing center. They also have form that must be filled out. Tests must be brought in by noon the day before the test opens.

Final Exams

Every semester has designated final exam days. Each class is scheduled for a certain time. Those hours are part of the hours of classroom instruction for the semester and are an important part of the academic experience. Please plan to use those hours, even if the test is administered in the Testing Center.

To request a test be administered in the Testing Center you will need to get permission from your dean before the Testing Center will schedule it. Again, they have limited capacity and so priority for this space should be given to those for whom there is a a need for either the computers or the extended time that the Testing Center makes available.

The final exam schedule is on the website on the Office of the Registrar's page.

Policy Support

What is the University's Strategic Plan? (AVP's office; 2016)

How can I find the faculty handbook? (AVP’s office)

Where can I find university policies and procedures?

What is the Faculty Advisory Council? What is the scope of their responsibilities and authority?

What is the schedule for Thursdays at 11:00?

What is the history of the development of the new academic calendar?

Faculty Grievance Procedures

Living Laboratory Document

Tech Support

How can I access my student evaluations? (institutional analyst, Kathy Pulotu)

How do I get support for developing online classes? (Center for Learning & Teaching; be sure to work through department chair and dean to have a project prioritized)

Who do I talk to for Canvas support? (Center for Learning & Teaching,

How do I report a problem or get help with IT? (Office of Information Technology, Call Center and Help desk (808) 675-3921)

Who is my IT customer service representative (CSR)? (OIT)

How do I request equipment or software, etc. more than $300? (institutional discounts) (OIT)

Travel Support

How do I get a corporate travel card for university travel? (Travel Services)

How do I fill out a Travel Application? (Travel)

Benefits Support

Where do I find the DMBA information online? Where is the office here in Laie? (Laie Shopping Center next to L&L restaurant)

How do I get the tuition benefit for myself or family members at BYU–Hawaii? (HR)

How do I get the tuition benefit for myself or family members at other CES schools? (HR)


Faculty Handbook

Academic Accommodation