Skip to main content

Student Research and Professional Development Programs

The purpose of the Student Research Associateship (SRA), Student Research Travel (SRT), and Student Professional Development (SPD) programs are to provide opportunities for students to participate in on/off-campus research or fieldwork and to present at appropriate professional meetings/conferences. Applicants must be current BYUH students to apply and to qualify for SRA/SRT/SPD funding at time of research and/or travel.

Get Involved in Research

There are three major ways at BYUH for students to be involved in mentored research:

1. SRA (Student Research Associateship) Program: it functions like an independent study course, where students conduct mentored research and must register under the discipline’s 496R course number. The program also requires students to present the research findings at a professional conference. Potential presentation venues must be included in the application. Acceptance to a conference should follow to finalize the approval for travel. See application and guidelines below.

2. SRT (Student Research Travel) Program: students work as project-based RA (research assistant) for faculty members and get paid like regular campus student employment (up to 19 hours/week, and employment ends at the conclusion of project as proposed by faculty). When travel is necessary to collect data for research, SRT provide support for such purposes. Use the same application as SRA.

3. SPD (student professional development) travel support: students receive travel support to present at an eligible scholarly/professional conference (requires a mentor). This program does not require students to be concurrently enrolled in an Independent Research (496R) course. To meet the deadline, application with research plan should be submitted when abstract is being submitted to potential conference venues. See application form below.

* Priority is given to support for domestic travels.
* Travel support for group projects is limited to two students for the same project.
*Students traveling internationally must be accompanied by a faculty mentor who oversees the research and also presents at the same conference.

Key Dates for SRA and SRT Applications

Key Dates Winter Semester Spring Semester Fall Semester
Proposal deadline Oct. 30 Feb. 28 Jun. 25

For SPD, applications must be submitted no later than one month before travel.

Communicate with the SRA/SRT/SPD at