Student Research: Guidelines for Application
- Be sponsored by a faculty mentor
- Have completed at least 60 credit hours before commencing work on a project
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0* or higher
- Send the application and proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org, the subject line should read: "Student Research Associateship"
Requirements for Approved Students:
- Maintain an overall GPA of 3.0*
- Register for a 496R (Student Research) class for 1-3 credits, as determined by faculty mentor
- Be enrolled at BYU–Hawaii as a full-time student excluding the 496R class
- Submit Evidence of progress at the end of each semester (i.e., conference proposal, final report, progress report, etc.)
- Present periodic seminars as required by the faculty mentor and the college/school, including university undergraduate research during winter semester
- A final report will be included at the end of the research project, including documentation of presentations and publications
- Each faculty mentor will review the student performance at the end of an assistantship, grades are assigned for 496R Student Research
- The faculty mentor will insure that there is continued benefit to the student, the project and the University
- The student will also be required to submit a report summarizing their research/ conference presentation and the outcome
- The student applying for travel has not received funding for travel to a previous conference
A student applying for renewal of an assistantship should submit a letter of request and a recommendation from their current faculty mentor. This brief proposal (1-2 pages) should contain a progress report and explanation of what is expected to be accomplished during the extension of the associateship.
Note: Reimbursement requests should be submitted within the semester/term of the grant or within two weeks of the end of the semester/term of the grant.
*GPA Exceptions can be made by the approval of faculty and the committee.