Skip to main content

Hawaii Post-Secondary Education Authorization Program

The Hawaii Post-secondary Education Authorization Program (HPEAP) is administered by Hawaii’s Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) and provides oversight of certain post-secondary educational institutions, including BYU-Hawaii (see Hawaii Revised Statutes § 305J). Under HPEAP, any BYU-Hawaii student or former student having a complaint involving the University may file the complaint with the DCCA provided that: (i) complaints not involving violations of criminal law should be first submitted to BYU-Hawaii for appropriate resolution; and (ii) complaints from former students must generally be filed within two years of termination of enrollment. The DCCA has jurisdiction to investigate complaints based on violations of criminal law and to investigate other grievances, including alleged violations of HPEAP, if the student or former student has already exhausted with the University all administrative remedies available for those grievances. The DCCA will not investigate under HPEAP complaints that infringe on the academic or religious freedom of, or that question the curriculum content of, BYU-Hawaii. Complaints under HPEAP may also be filed with the University’s accrediting agency, the WASC Senior College and University Commission.

For any other grievances, feel free to directly contact the University administration through the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the BYU-Hawaii homepage or click here.

After exhausting all institutional processes, you may seek recourse by contacting the Hawaii Post-Secondary Education Authorization Program (HPEAP). HPEAP may investigate complaints based on possible violations of the Hawaii authorization statutes or rules.

Hawaii Post-Secondary Education Authorization Program (HPEAP)
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
335 Merchant Street, Rm. 310
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813

Telephone: (808) 586-7327